- You are invited to An Exaltation of Larks concert, at 7 p.m., Friday, May 22nd, at Park View Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg. Enjoy an inspiring evening of vocal and instrumental music performances by current Hesston College music students and former EMHS students, along with Hesston music faculty members Ken Rodgers and Matt Schloneger. A reception will follow the program.
- Registration for Virginia Mennonite Conference Assembly is open! Join us June 11-13 at Harrisonburg Mennonite Church for a weekend of work, worship and stories of "Built into a Spiritual House," based on 1 Peter 2:4-10. Learn more and register at virginiaconference.org/assembly
- Perspectives on the World Christian Movement has helped thousands of Christians to align their lives with God's global purposes. A rich menu of readings and fifteen interactive class sessions, with input from presenters sharing their particular expertise, combine to provide students with an understanding of four distinct dimensions of the missional challenge: Biblical, Historical, Cultural and Strategic. The course will be offered here in Harrisonburg again this fall – Tuesday evenings, from Sept 1- Dec 8, at Grace Covenant Church. For more information, check out the Perspectives website at perspectives.org or contact Carol Tobin at email@example.com. **Special note: On Monday, May 4: For more info, promotional material and the opportunity to talk with folks who have taken the course, come to our drop-in "Coffee at Clementine" event from 3:30 to 5:15 pm in the lower level/basement of Clementine, 153 S Main St in Harrisonburg. **
- All leaders holding ministerial credentials in VMC are invited to: "God's Gift of Sexuality": a Pastoral Leadership Consultation on May 15, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Mountain View Mennonite Church, 5252 North Carolina 10 Hickory, NC 28602. Transportation arrangements to and from the Harrisonburg area are in the works. Speakers are still to be decided. RSVP to Anieta McCracken, Administrative Services Manager, at 540-434-9727 ext 135 or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Come out to Pleasant View, Inc.'s 18th Annual Golf Tournament to support individuals with intellectual disabilities on Friday, May 15, at Spotswood Country Club (1980 Country Club Road in Harrisonburg, Va.) This will be in a Captain's Choice format. Registration will begin at 8:00 am, with a shotgun start at 9:00 am. Team prizes, contest prizes, and door prize drawings will be awarded after lunch. Fees are $100/golfer or $380/team of 4. There will be team prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Mulligans, power balls, and 50/50 will be offered at registration. We will also have closest to the pin and longest drive contests. Lunch will be provided.
- Learn to lead change well in your congregation. Eastern Mennonite Seminary is offering the course "Leading Congregational Change" June 8-12. Participants will learn practical skills for leading change in congregations and faith-based organizations. Sign up as "participation audit" for reduced tuition. emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer
- Would you like to learn more about Spiritual Formation for Congregational Discernment? Or are you interested in Sustaining Practices in Congregational Worship? Maybe you want to explore Spiritual Guidance in Life and Practice? All three of these courses and others are part of the Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation at Eastern Mennonite Seminary, June 15-26. Classes are held Mon-Fri of those two weeks. For more details on the courses, to see the schedule, and to register online, please go to: emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute. You are welcome to join the teachers and learners who experience God's presence each summer through this Institute. – Director Linda Alley, 540.432.4698
- Highland Retreat's Annual Steak BBQ will be held at Highland on Saturday, June 27. The summer staff commissioning service begins at 1:30 p.m.. At 3 p.m. activity centers open for all ages: cornhole tournament, zip line, children's activities, and swimming. At 5 p.m. the steak BBQ begins and live bluegrass music will follow. Highland will provide steak, hot dogs, drink, and potatoes. Please bring a side salad or a dessert, and a donation to support the ministries of Highland Retreat. To reserve a $10 campsite or A-frame cottage for the BBQ weekend (BBQ volunteers free), contact the office at email@example.com or (540) 705-0554. To register for the cornhole tournament visit www.highlandretreat.org.
- Save the date for the annual MHI Friends Dinner event, Friday, September 25, from 7-9pm at Park View Mennonite Church. This is MHI's main fundraiser event of the year and features a deliciously prepared Latino meal provided by Hispanic members of the different congregations related to MHI as wells as a bilingual worship experience.
- Do you know a young man or woman, ages 18+ who would make a good camp counselor, has a passion for mentoring kids, loves the Lord and is energetic? If so, please send them our away. Highland Retreat Summer Camp still has salaried positions available for male and female camp counselors. Those interested can apply at highlandretreat.org or call 540-705-0512 for more information.
- VMMissions is looking for volunteers to spend the summer (June 1-late August) teaching English in Egypt through Partners in Mission. As a way of building trust and relationships, the Coptic Orthodox church in Egypt offers English classes for both Muslims and Christians. Volunteers are needed for a summer children's and youth English program for children ages 6-15. Both couples and singles are encouraged to apply. To apply or learn more, contact Martin Rhodes at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 434-9727.
- Is God calling you to learn more about missions in Asia and/or ministry in the slums? Consider participating in a 6 week Re-Imagine Internship in Jakarta, Indonesia, this summer through a partnership with VMMissions' Partners in Mission program and Servants to Asia's Urban Poor. The internship would include 1 week of orientation, a 4 week home-stay with an east Asian slum family, and 1 week of debriefing, running July 20-August 30. Both singles and couples are encouraged to consider. Application deadline is May 20th. Contact Martin Rhodes for more information at email@example.com and check out servantsasia.org/jump-jesus-undercover-majority-places/
- Grace Mennonite Fellowship in Lacey Spring, VA, a non-traditional congregation with their core values rooted in the Anabaptist Mennonite faith tradition, is seeking a half-time Youth Pastor. Grace Mennonite Fellowship, a growing congregation of approximately 250 with an active youth population of approximately 40, is community-oriented church that strives to be mission-focused both locally and globally. For more information and application instructions please visit the announcements page at gracemennonite.net.
- Springdale Mennonite Church (Waynesboro, VA) is seeking a half-time Associate Pastor to work in cooperation with the Lead Pastor in a variety of ways. To a large degree, this position will focus on: 1) Equipping people within the church for ministry; and 2) giving direction to Springdale's ministry with youth. The ideal candidate will approach faith from an Anabaptist perspective and will have training and/or experience in Christian ministry. Contact Krista Powell (Chair of the Search Committee) at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to submit a letter of inquiry.
- Roberta Webb Child Care Center has an opening for a Director. This is a 30-40 hour administrative position. Bachelors Degree Required and experience in early childhood necessary. Please send resume to email@example.com or call (540) 434-8699
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Request
Pray for the team of Thai believers from the Life Enrichment Church that will be traveling across the border to a closed neighboring country. Ask God to guide them as they look for ways to invest in the Kingdom there.