Local Events & Opportunities
- Learn about the Fortress of Hope children's home in Managua, Nicaragua, at a fundraising dinner on Wednesday evening, July 1, at 6:00 in the Park View Mennonite Church Fellowship Hall. The menu features Nicaraguan appetizers, BBQ ribs, roasted vegetables, cabbage salad, homemade bread, and cheesecake. You will meet Mitch and Lauren Yoder, volunteers at the home, and hear about the work of Fortress of Hope featured on the front page of the June 8 Mennonite World Review. RSVP to email@example.com, by June 26. Gloria Diener is Mitch's aunt, and she and Gene are members of the Yoders' mission support team through VMMissions.
- Join us for an evening fruit/dessert bar with Norma Teles and the children of the Joshua Center. It will be held on Friday, July 17 at Dayton Mennonite Church, from 7-8pm. All are welcome. At the fundraiser, Norma (VMMissions worker in Lezhe, Albania) will share about her ministry with Roma children and their families.
- Celebrating 10 years of tranSend: At Conference Assembly, we celebrated a decade of tranSend with a video highlighting the program and the significant impacts it has had. You can watch the full video called "tranSend celebration" at org/media/transend-alumni-stories/
- VMMissions outgoing workers: VMMissions has a number of long-term workers whose new or reappointed terms of service cannot begin until adequate funding is in place. Your immediate gifts or pledges will enable these workers to begin or resume ministry. Will you consider helping one or more of these workers: Seth and Theresa Crissman (local Kids Club ministry), Raleigh and Opal* (North Africa), Michael and Ruth* (South Asia), Steve and Bethany Horst (Thailand), Nancy Marshall (Belize), Norma Teles (Albania) and Dini Shahini (Albania)? Thank you for the many gifts and pledges to date! *Pseudonyms or incomplete names for security purposes.
- Celebrate the sending of new VMMissions' workers at the tranSend Commissioning, Thursday, July 16. Join us for a meaningful time of worship and blessing, followed by Taste of Missions at the Hershberger Barn (5647 Wengers Mill Rd., Harrisonburg) starting at 7 p.m. Contact Martin Rhodes with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 434-9727.
- Fiddle Workshop with The Steel Wheels will be held at EMU in partnership with the Suzuki Strings Camp, June 29 – July 2. Don't miss this great opportunity to learn from and play with a great band like The Steel Wheels! Pre-college students of all levels are welcome. For more information and registration visit edu/musiclessons or call (540) 432-4277.
- Eastern Mennonite School Year-end Update: Help us "fill the house" as we are just days away from our fiscal year-end on June 30 with $140,000 needed to reach our Annual Fund goal. Thank you to all who've given generously this year. To those considering, there's still time. You can mail or drop donations by the EMS office or give today online at easternmennoniteschool.org/support. Check out our fun time-lapse video clip at facebook.com/EasternMennoniteSchool. Our "house" is filling up because of YOUR generosity. Not only are your donations tax-deductible, they also go a very long way in sustaining the life of our school, no matter the amount! With every dollar you contribute, the more programming and more financial aid we can offer our students.
- There will be an Anabaptist Renewal Circles (ARC) Gathering on July 21, just prior to the opening of Mennonite World Conference, at Slate Hill Mennonite Church, 8:30 – 1:30. Our theme is "God's Heart for the Nations," based on John 3:16. The program goal is to celebrate God's love from different national contexts. We have speakers from North America, Latin America, Asia, and Africa. There will be mission agency representatives from North America: Mennonite Mission Network, VMMissions, EMM and Rosedale Mennonite Missions. Rather than lecture inputs, it will be more about sharing stories of God's work among the nations. We will integrate songs, stories, and prayers throughout the Gathering.
- Perspectives on the World Christian Movement has helped thousands of Christians to align their lives with God's global purposes. A rich menu of readings and fifteen interactive class sessions, with input from presenters sharing their particular expertise, combine to provide students with an understanding of four distinct dimensions of the missional challenge: Biblical, Historical, Cultural and Strategic. The course will be offered here in Harrisonburg again this fall – Tuesday evenings, from Sept 1- Dec 8, at Grace Covenant Church. For more information, check out the Perspectives website at perspectives.org or contact Carol Tobin at email@example.com.
- You are welcome to join in a transformative healing retreat. Tilda Norberg will be guiding another Opening to Grace Retreat at the Highland Retreat Center in Bergton, Va., on October 8-10. If you know of people who may be interested in attending please forward the brochure; or if you are interested yourself, please fill out the registration form and send it, along with your deposit, to me at the address in the brochure. Pat Hostetter Martin, for the Shenandoah Gestalt Pastoral Care Community of Practice.
- Lanterns of Hope, a support group for those who have lost a loved one to suicide, meets at 7:00 PM on the first Monday of every month at Grace Mennonite Fellowship in Lacey Spring, Va. This informal group was created by a mom, Suzy LaBonte, who lost her sixteen-year-old son to suicide in 2009. The group warmly welcomes newcomers to participate in sharing and support. For more information, contact Suzy at (540) 833-4185.
- Music lessons are available through EMU's Preparatory Music Program for students of all levels, ages 3 and up. Lessons are offered for violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar, flute and piano with Suzuki options for most instruments. Visit edu/musiclessons or call (540) 432-4277 for registration information.
Employment and Volunteer Announcements:
- Weekday Religious Education will hire a Bible Teacher for Rockingham Country school students. This is a part-time, paid position. For an application or any questions, please call our office 540-438-9997.
- Virginia Mennonite Missions seeks a full-time Director of Advancement. Candidates should demonstrate a passion for the gospel, an active commitment to the church, strong skills in leadership, communications, and interpersonal relationships, and the ability to organize and motivate a team. Experience in the areas of fundraising and public relations preferred. Interested persons, please contact Dianna Lehman by June 15, 2015: firstname.lastname@example.org, (540)-434-9727.
- VMMissions is looking for volunteers to spend the summer (June 1-late August) teaching English in Egypt through Partners in Mission. As a way of building trust and relationships, the Coptic Orthodox church in Egypt offers English classes for both Muslims and Christians. Volunteers are needed for a summer children's and youth English program for children ages 6-15. Both couples and singles are encouraged to apply. To apply or learn more, contact Martin Rhodes at email@example.com or (540) 434-9727.
- Is God calling you to learn more about missions in Asia and/or ministry in the slums? Consider participating in a 6 week Re-Imagine Internship in Jakarta, Indonesia, this summer through a partnership with VMMissions' Partners in Mission program and Servants to Asia's Urban Poor. The internship would include 1 week of orientation, a 4 week home-stay with an east Asian slum family, and 1 week of debriefing, running July 20-August 30. Both singles and couples are encouraged to consider. Application deadline is May 20th. Contact Martin Rhodes for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org and check out servantsasia.org/jump-jesus-undercover-majority-places/
- Grace Mennonite Fellowship in Lacey Spring, VA, a non-traditional congregation with their core values rooted in the Anabaptist Mennonite faith tradition, is seeking a half-time Youth Pastor. Grace Mennonite Fellowship, a growing congregation of approximately 250 with an active youth population of approximately 40, is community-oriented church that strives to be mission-focused both locally and globally. For more information and application instructions please visit the announcements page at gracemennonite.net.
- Springdale Mennonite Church (Waynesboro, VA) is seeking a half-time Associate Pastor to work in cooperation with the Lead Pastor in a variety of ways. To a large degree, this position will focus on: 1) Equipping people within the church for ministry; and 2) giving direction to Springdale's ministry with youth. The ideal candidate will approach faith from an Anabaptist perspective and will have training and/or experience in Christian ministry. Contact Krista Powell (Chair of the Search Committee) at email@example.com for more information or to submit a letter of inquiry.
- Roberta Webb Child Care Center has an opening for a Director. This is a 30-40 hour administrative position. Bachelors Degree Required and experience in early childhood necessary. Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (540) 434-8699.
- Would you like to support the Residence Directors (RDs) at Eastern Mennonite University and have a space (cabin, extra bedroom, small apartment, etc.) that you could loan out for a weekend? EMU's RDs live on campus in the dorms all year long, and it is difficult to be able to spend a lot of money to get away for a weekend. We all know how important it is to take a break and care for ourselves, so let's help the RD's do just that! If you would like to be put on a "getaway" list for the 9 RDs and their families to contact when they need some time away, just email Hannah Hall at email@example.com. Thank you in advance for supporting the people who support EMU's college students!
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for a full-time Development Assistant. The Development Assistant is responsible for receipting, tracking and reporting of all contributions made to the institution; database maintenance and report generation; interfacing with payroll coordinator in human resources to process faculty/staff contributions through payroll; administrative assistance for other development personnel as requested. Bachelor's degree preferred. Experience with database maintenance, gift receipting, Microsoft Office, query report writing, and math capabilities required. Assistant must be detail oriented and accurate, understand basic financial/accounting concepts, possess strong written and oral communication skills and be able to maintain confidentiality. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for a full-time Academic Support Center Assistant. The Academic Support Center Assistant is responsible for delegated receptionist/secretarial work for the programs of the ASC, including Student Disability Support Services. Responsibilities include responding to requests of students, faculty, staff, and visitors; setting up and maintaining tutor schedules on electronic scheduler; filing and data entry; ordering of supplies; supervising work study students; and proctoring exams. Associates degree or equivalent experience preferred. Successful candidate must possess previous office experience, and strong organizational and computer skills. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for a full-time Associate Director of Development. The Associate Director of Development is a major gift officer who is responsible for soliciting funds from individuals, businesses and congregations for the annual fund, endowment and capital projects of the university. Bachelor's degree required. Experience in a Christian academic community; fundraising; experience in business or organizational structures; banking; estate planning; finance and/or insurance experience; or related fields would be helpful. Able to take initiative, set goals, relate well to people; cooperative team player; creative and industrious; possesses administrative, planning, writing, and appropriate computer skills; able to counsel donors on issues related to philanthropy; possesses knowledge and understanding of the Mennonite Church and its structures; a passion for making contacts; and available to travel. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community seeks a Residential Living Chaplain who is responsible for providing pastoral care and counseling to residential living residents and assisting with crisis spiritual needs of supportive living residents. Oversees the planning of and participates in the leadership of worship services on Sunday mornings, vesper services on Sunday evenings, and special seasonal services. See http://www.vmrc.org/About/Employment.aspx or email email@example.com for more information about the position and to obtain an application for employment.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for an Office Coordinator in the Language and Literature Department. The Office Coordinator is responsibilities include completing general office tasks; providing assistance to the department chair, faculty, and students; supervising work study students; managing Writers Read events; assisting with facilitation of new faculty searches; and curating the department web pages. Part time, 10 month position. Bachelor's degree preferred. Successful candidate must have good communication and office management skills; word processing, data base, spreadsheet, and desktop publishing capabilities; department event coordinating and strong interpersonal skills. Experience with prioritizing, delegating and overseeing the work of others is essential. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a Director of Health Services. Responsibilities include providing wellness programming, coordinating with counseling and external medical services; managing budget; maintain health records; obtaining contracts and communication with outside entities for electronic health records, billing services, and physician services, scheduling and supervision of student employees; and evaluation and assessment of all activities of Health Services. Part-time, 10 month contract. Master's degree in health administration or nursing preferred. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, email@example.com. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for an Administrative Assistant/Office Manager in the Physical Plant Department. Responsibilities include to manage reservations of campus rooms and vehicle fleet including issuing of keys and schedule of locking and unlocking. The position also coordinates office projects and events, ensuring that critical reporting deadlines are met, managing the billing of services, cost coding invoices, screening calls and visitors, filing, maintaining cost codes for projects. Other general Physical Plant office responsibilities include back up support for the work control system. Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred. Interim, Full-time position. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Zion Mennonite Church in Broadway VA, is seeking an Associate Pastor employed at ¾ time. Candidates should have a strong Anabaptist theology with a Masters of Divinity degree preferred. Passion for faith formation among all ages and experience in working directly with children, youth and families is important. In addition this person will demonstrate effective leadership with strong communication and organizational skills. For further information, please contact Search Committee Chair, Rebekah Brubaker email@example.com. Additional details about Zion Mennonite Church can be found at zmcva.org.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Request:
Pray that Mitch and Lauren Yoder would continue to find balance between their teaching jobs and their work at Fortress of Hope. Ask God to be their source of hope, strength, and purpose.