- Free SHINE Training Event, August 23 – Bring friends from your own church or another to learn about teaching the new Sunday School curriculum, SHINE, published by MennoMedia and Brethren Press. Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Va., will host a training session from 9:00-11:30 on Saturday, August 23. Joshua Byler from MennoMedia and Linda Alley from the Congregational Resource Center will lead. Free registration is available by contacting Linda at 540.432.4698 or email@example.com. We can plan best if you register before August 20.
- Evening, once-a-month and online classes at Eastern Mennonite Seminary: Want to learn more about spiritual direction, trauma healing, youth ministry, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the New Testament, Mennonite History or the psychology behind religion? Courses on all of the above topics are offered this fall. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit emu.edu/seminary/courses/fall <http://emu.edu/seminary/courses/fall> for more information.
- A conference connected to a denomination provides opportunity for a regional group of congregations to engage in local missions. This happens as we engage in a unified corporate expression of being God's hands, feet and voice on matters that are important to the Kingdom of God. As Virginia Mennonite Conference approaches the end of the fiscal year with a deficit, please consider a gift by August 31 to help support the Conference mission so that we can end our fiscal year well.
- Love to ride in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley? Save the date for Saturday, September 20, and join the 17th annual Bike Shenandoah. Choose one of five rides for all ages and abilities, and support the work of seven local and regional agencies! Learn more and register at bikeshenandoah.org <http://www.bikeshenandoah.org/>.
- Cherith Fee Nordling will give four presentations in Harrisonburg on the theme "Being Human, Becoming Christian: an embodied reconciliation of heaven and earth," September 15-17. Is our embodied humanity a temporary curse or permanent, glorious reality? Does salvation seem to imply getting out of our bodies, or is it about finally being at home in our bodies and getting to be truly human forever? Too often, Christians are deeply ambivalent, or silent, about our embodied lives and whether they really matter in the end. Ironically, if we take Jesus' humanity seriously, then we will begin to see that "in the end" God's gift and goal is to give us our truly human, truly sexual, truly Christian lives back, then and now! The four events are: a public presentation on Monday, Sept. 15, Park View Mennonite Church, 7:00 pm, a Pastors' Breakfast:* Tuesday, Sept. 16, Fireplace Room at Park View Mennonite Church, 7:30 am (*RSVP to Sarah Showalter at email@example.com or (540) 434-9727 by Sept. 11 if you plan to attend.), a Seminary Chapel: Tuesday, Sept. 16, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, 11:00 am, and an EMU Undergraduate Chapel: Wednesday, Sept. 17, Lehman Auditorium, 10:00 am. Cherith Fee Nordling is Associate Professor of Theology at Northern Seminary in Lombard, IL.
- Aging With Grace – Equipping Churches for Senior Ministry in the Age of the Baby Boomer" is an ecumenical, non-denominational Ministry event for Pastors, Chaplains and Church Lay Leaders. This Event will cover Medical, Spiritual, Financial and Aging-related issues – for the broadest possible attraction to Church leaders. The wide-open Religious spectrum represented by the Virginia Council of Churches attracts a diverse Spiritual audience. This one-day event will bring together over 200 Church Leaders from all over Central Virginia with one overall purpose; Equip Churches to better serve the Senior population of their church membership. Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 9 am -2 pm at Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center, Glen Allen, VA. For more information and register at http://www.vacouncilofchurches.org/
- Looking for missional church resourcing with an Anabaptist perspective? Join us for the "Church and Post-Christian Culture" Conference, Sept. 19-20, in Carlisle, Pa., at Carlisle Brethren in Christ Church. Speakers include Anton Flores, Greg Boyd and Nelson Okanya. Jesus, community and mission are the broad themes for plenaries and breakouts. Mennonite Church USA is a partnering denomination. Contact Skip Tobin for details regarding travel and hotel details at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 434-9727 • (800) 707-5535. Learn more and register at missioalliance.org/event/church-after-christendom-christian-witness-in-the-way-of-jesus/ <http://www.missioalliance.org/event/church-after-christendom-christian-witness-in-the-way-of-jesus/>
- The Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale will be October 3-4 at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds, Harrisonburg. The relief sales offers a little bit of everything—quilts, artwork, homemade food, antiques, crafts, music and activities for the whole family. We hope you'll join us! Proceeds go to the work of Mennonite Central Committee. Keep collecting for Penny Power and consider matching your church's total! Watch the new video from VMM on this year's Penny Power projects at vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/ <http://vmmissions.org/support/penny-power/> Learn more about the sale at vareliefsale.com <http://www.vareliefsale.com/>
- The Walk for Our Community Place will be October 18 at 9 am. Walk options are a 10K or 10 blocks. This Walk is a way for the community to help Our Community Place in its mission to promote personal growth and community well-being in the Harrisonburg area.
- EMU Fitness Center has a Fall Membership Special! Get a three-month membership (Community Members-$55; Discounted Members*-$45). Offer expires September 30, 2014. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Specials cannot be "stacked." Membership valid for three months from date of purchase. *Includes senior citizens, high school students, pastors, EMU alumni, retirees, dependents, spouses
- "Black Mennonite Women Rock" Retreat: Sept. 12-14, 2014 at Camp Friedenswald, Cassopolis, Mich., hosted by Central District Conference. Women of all races and faith expressions are invited to be part of a weekend of upbeat worship, classic camp activities and exciting discussions of faith, race and identity—celebrating Anabaptist-Mennonite faith through an African-American cultural style. See www.mennoniteusa.org/central-district-conference-hosts-black-mennonite-women-rock/. Register now at www.friedenswald.org or 269-476-9744. Financial aid is available, and women age 25 and under are invited to come at no cost.
VMM Prayer Request:
The new school year is beginning at Lezha Academic Center. Pray for Justin Rittenhouse, Katrina Schmid, Justin & Melanie Erb, Joshua Kirkman, and Richard & Elsie Bowman who are teaching and giving leadership at the growing school.