Local Events & Opportunities
- Roberta Webb Child Care Center invites you to help celebrate 20 years in the community on May 30 at First Presbyterian Church. Dinner starts at 5:30 with music and a silent auction. Live auction with Sonny Henkel starts at 7pm.
- Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation – Join us June 16-27, 2014 for the Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation at EMS. Take 1, 2, or 3 credit hours or audits in courses to deepen your own faith and teach you how to guide others. The Oasis option lets you dip in and out of classes and design your own mini-retreat experience. Open to all church leaders and growing Christians. www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses <http://www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute/courses>
- Anabaptist Renewal Circles invites you to the National Conference 2014, July 10-12 at Weaverland Mennonite Church, 210 Weaverland Valley Rd, East Earl, Pa. Aaron Kauffman, VMM president, and Skip Tobin, VMM USA Ministries Director, will be leading workshops at the event.Anabaptist Renewal Circles has a vision to mobilize the Mennonite and Anabaptist community to bear witness to the transforming grace of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Register by June 1 at www.anabaptistrenewal.org <http://www.anabaptistrenewal.org> for a special rate of $40/person
- Highland Retreat's annual Steak BBQ and summer staff commissioning service will be held at Highland the afternoon and evening of Saturday, June 21. To reserve a free campsite or A-frame cottage (BBQ participants only) for the weekend, contact the office at email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or (540) 705-0554. Visit www.highlandretreat.org <http://www.highlandretreat.org> for more details or to enter this year's Cornhole Tournament.
- Motorcycle for Missions 2014 invites bikers to join the ride to Conference Assembly in Charlottesville, July 23-24. Join the ride in Waynesboro, Roanoke, Greensboro or Raleigh. Enjoy scenic vistas through the byways of the southern Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont regions. Meet other riders who want to ride for a cause, and help raise funds for Virginia Mennonite Missions, which works around the world in development, education, peacebuilding and building faith communities. There will be a welcome in Charlottesville at Assembly. Tim Kennell, tour coordinator, is an avid motorcyclist and pastor of Powhatan Mennonite Church. We hope that your congregation will be represented on this fun ride! If you are not able to ride, please support financially the riders in your church who are participating. For more information, contact Tim Kennell at email@example.com or at cell # (804) 240-5657. Find out more and register at vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions <http://vmmissions.org/support/motorcycle-for-missions>
- Registration is now open for Virginia Mennonite Conference Assembly 2014! Mark your calendar for July 24-26, and go to www.virginiaconference.org/assembly <http://www.virginiaconference.org/assembly> for complete details and online registration. Our worship, work, and reflection will be guided by Jesus' Great Commission, on the theme of Making Disciples As We Go! Save the date and plan now to attend!
- Save the date for End-of-life training. Join a workshop to learn how to lead groups through important end-of-life discussions at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, Pa., August 12-14. For more information, visit laurelville.org/programs/end-of-life-education/
Virginia Mennonite Missions is in need of volunteer receptionists. Are you interested in supporting missions work? This might be the just the right opportunity for you! VMM is looking for persons who are willing to volunteer one morning or afternoon each week to sit at the front desk answering phones, greeting visitors, and assisting the administrative assistant with occasional office tasks. If you are interested in supporting the work of VMM by serving as a volunteer receptionist please contact Sarah N. Schoenhals at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (540) 434-9727.
OFFICE SUITE FOR RENT: A spacious two-office suite, partially furnished, with separate entrance, good parking, and good signage is available at 901 Parkwood Drive (office building of VMMissions and Virginia Mennonite Conference). All utilities, taxes and most insurance included, together with access to shared kitchen, copier/mail room, and restrooms. $500/month. For more details, contact Lynn Suter at email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or 540-434-9727.
Highland Retreat Summer Camp has positions available for both lifeguards and male counseling staff. Highland offers a Christ-centered environment where youth and young adults can explore their own gifts while serving others in meaningful ways. Please visit www.highlandretreat.org <http://www.highlandretreat.org> for additional information and online application.
Eastern Mennonite School is in the search process for School Counselor & Health Services Coordinator with LPC certification – Fulltime. This person will provide counseling support and oversight to K-9 services and coordinate resources required to provide general health and well-being services for the school. Successful candidates will share a passion for working with children and youth in a Christ-centered academic environment. Eastern Mennonite School offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and is an equal opportunity employer. Licensed Professional Counselor preferred. Please express interest by emailing email@example.com or calling 540-236-6012.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer News
Richard & Elsie Bowman returned to Virginia this past week after serving four months with the Lezha Academic Center in Albania. Thank God for their availability to serve the students and other staff members.