- AVA Care of Harrisonburg is seeking applicants to join our dynamic team. Available part-time positions include: Director of Marketing, Director of Advancement, and Director of Operations. For more information and full job descriptions, visit support-avacare.org/jobs. To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Susan Null, Executive Director at email@example.com or 833 MLK, Jr. Way Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
- Register now for Virginia Mennonite Conference Assembly! Deadline is June 1. Join us June 11-13 at Harrisonburg Mennonite Church for a weekend of work, worship and stories of "Built into a Spiritual House," based on 1 Peter 2:4-10. Learn more and register at virginiaconference.org/assembly (Once it redirects to the PayPal screen, you are registered. You may pay by credit card or check.)
- Motorcycle for Missions is planning an event again this summer in conjunction with VMC Assembly. Our goal this year is to have 20 – 25 cycles and to raise at least $8,000 for VMM. The ride begins at 8:00 am on Wednesday, June 10 with groups leaving from eastern VA, Durham, NC and Harrisonburg. We will all meet in Roanoke, Va., Wednesday night, leaving Roanoke at 8:00 am Thursday morning to return to Harrisonburg and have lunch together before the Pastoral Resource Event at 1:00. For more information, contact Robert Wenger, Trip Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 383-5094. We need to have participants lined up before May 20 to make sure we have accommodations in place for the trip. Enjoy good fellowship and the beauty of God's creation as we share the common interests of motorcycles, missions, and "Ride the Scenic Valley to Make a Global Impact."
- Howard Zehr roast at EMU on Saturday, May 23, at 4:30 p.m., in EMU's Yoder Arena in University Commons. An evening of humorous and heartfelt stories celebrating the work of Dr. Howard Zehr and the many ways he has touched lives. In addition, this is a fundraising event for the Zehr Institute for Restorative Justice at CJP. All silent auction proceeds and donations from the evening will benefit the vision of Dr. Howard Zehr and the mission of the Zehr Institute for Restorative Justice. Call (800) 368-3383 or email email@example.com to register or for more information.
- Learn to lead change well in your congregation. Eastern Mennonite Seminary is offering the course "Leading Congregational Change" June 8-12. Participants will learn practical skills for leading change in congregations and faith-based organizations. Sign up as "participation audit" for reduced tuition. www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer
- The Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center is pleased to present a new production of the Civil War play, Jordan's Stormy Banks from June 12 to 14. The play tells the vivid story of one Shenandoah Valley family's struggles during the Civil War and how they reconcile loyalty to family, to country, and to their Lord. Evening and matinee performances of the play will be held in the Main Stage Theater at EMU. Tickets: $15 adults, $12 seniors/students and $6 children 7-12 years—are now available online at www.vbmhc.org or by calling (540) 438-1275.
- Would you like to learn more about Spiritual Formation for Congregational Discernment? Or are you interested in Sustaining Practices in Congregational Worship? Maybe you want to explore Spiritual Guidance in Life and Practice? All three of these courses and others are part of the Summer Institute for Spiritual Formation at Eastern Mennonite Seminary, June 15-26. Classes are held Mon-Fri of those two weeks. For more details on the courses, to see the schedule, and to register online, please go to: www.emu.edu/seminary/courses/summer-institute. You are welcome to join the teachers and learners who experience God's presence each summer through this Institute. – Director Linda Alley, (540) 432-4698
- Highland Retreat's Annual Steak BBQ will be held at Highland on Saturday, June 27. The summer staff commissioning service begins at 1:30 p.m.. At 3 p.m. activity centers open for all ages: cornhole tournament, zip line, children's activities, and swimming. At 5 p.m. the steak BBQ begins and live bluegrass music will follow. Highland will provide steak, hot dogs, drink, and potatoes. Please bring a side salad or a dessert, and a donation to support the ministries of Highland Retreat. To reserve a $10 campsite or A-frame cottage for the BBQ weekend (BBQ volunteers free), contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 705-0554. To register for the cornhole tournament visit www.highlandretreat.org.
- Fiddle Workshop with The Steel Wheels will be held at EMU in partnership with the Suzuki Strings Camp, June 29 – July 2. Don't miss this great opportunity to learn from and play with a great band like The Steel Wheels! Pre-college students of all levels are welcome. For more information and registration visit emu.edu/musiclessons or call (540) 432-4277.
- There will be an Anabaptist Renewal Circles (ARC) Gathering on July 21, just prior to the opening of Mennonite World Conference, at Slate Hill Mennonite Church, 8:30 – 1:30. Our theme is "God's Heart for the Nations," based on John 3:16. The program goal is to celebrate God's love from different national contexts. We have speakers from North America, Latin America, Asia, and Africa. There will be mission agency representatives from North America: Mennonite Mission Network, VMMissions, EMM and Rosedale Mennonite Missions. Rather than lecture inputs, it will be more about sharing stories of God's work among the nations. We will integrate songs, stories, and prayers throughout the Gathering.
- Perspectives on the World Christian Movement has helped thousands of Christians to align their lives with God's global purposes. A rich menu of readings and fifteen interactive class sessions, with input from presenters sharing their particular expertise, combine to provide students with an understanding of four distinct dimensions of the missional challenge: Biblical, Historical, Cultural and Strategic. The course will be offered here in Harrisonburg again this fall – Tuesday evenings, from Sept 1- Dec 8, at Grace Covenant Church. For more information, check out the Perspectives website at www.perspectives.org or contact Carol Tobin at email@example.com.
- Lanterns of Hope, a support group for those who have lost a loved one to suicide, meets at 7:00 PM on the first Monday of every month at Grace Mennonite Fellowship in Lacey Spring, Va. This informal group was created by a mom, Suzy LaBonte, who lost her sixteen-year-old son to suicide in 2009. The group warmly welcomes newcomers to participate in sharing and support. For more information, contact Suzy at (540) 833-4185.
- Music lessons are available through EMU's Preparatory Music Program for students of all levels, ages 3 and up. Lessons are offered for violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar, flute and piano with Suzuki options for most instruments. Visit emu.edu/musiclessons or call (540) 432-4277 for registration information.
Employment and volunteer announcements:
- Virginia Mennonite Missions seeks a full-time Director of Advancement. Candidates should demonstrate a passion for the gospel, an active commitment to the church, strong skills in leadership, communications, and interpersonal relationships, and the ability to organize and motivate a team. Experience in the areas of fundraising and public relations preferred. Interested persons, please contact Dianna Lehman by June 15, 2015: firstname.lastname@example.org, (540)-434-9727.
- Do you know a young man or woman, ages 18+ who would make a good camp counselor, has a passion for mentoring kids, loves the Lord and is energetic? If so, please send them our away. Highland Retreat Summer Camp still has salaried positions available for male and female camp counselors. Those interested can apply at www.highlandretreat.org or call 540-705-0512 for more information.
- VMMissions is looking for volunteers to spend the summer (June 1-late August) teaching English in Egypt through Partners in Mission. As a way of building trust and relationships, the Coptic Orthodox church in Egypt offers English classes for both Muslims and Christians. Volunteers are needed for a summer children's and youth English program for children ages 6-15. Both couples and singles are encouraged to apply. To apply or learn more, contact Martin Rhodes at email@example.com or (540) 434-9727.
- Is God calling you to learn more about missions in Asia and/or ministry in the slums? Consider participating in a 6 week Re-Imagine Internship in Jakarta, Indonesia, this summer through a partnership with VMMissions' Partners in Mission program and Servants to Asia's Urban Poor. The internship would include 1 week of orientation, a 4 week home-stay with an east Asian slum family, and 1 week of debriefing, running July 20-August 30. Both singles and couples are encouraged to consider. Application deadline is May 20th. Contact Martin Rhodes for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org and check out servantsasia.org/jump-jesus-undercover-majority-places/
- Grace Mennonite Fellowship in Lacey Spring, VA, a non-traditional congregation with their core values rooted in the Anabaptist Mennonite faith tradition, is seeking a half-time Youth Pastor. Grace Mennonite Fellowship, a growing congregation of approximately 250 with an active youth population of approximately 40, is community-oriented church that strives to be mission-focused both locally and globally. For more information and application instructions please visit the announcements page at www.gracemennonite.net.
- Springdale Mennonite Church (Waynesboro, VA) is seeking a half-time Associate Pastor to work in cooperation with the Lead Pastor in a variety of ways. To a large degree, this position will focus on: 1) Equipping people within the church for ministry; and 2) giving direction to Springdale's ministry with youth. The ideal candidate will approach faith from an Anabaptist perspective and will have training and/or experience in Christian ministry. Contact Krista Powell (Chair of the Search Committee) at email@example.com for more information or to submit a letter of inquiry.
- Roberta Webb Child Care Center has an opening for a Director. This is a 30-40 hour administrative position. Bachelors Degree Required and experience in early childhood necessary. Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (540) 434-8699.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for a full-time Development Assistant. The Development Assistant is responsible for receipting, tracking and reporting of all contributions made to the institution; database maintenance and report generation; interfacing with payroll coordinator in human resources to process faculty/staff contributions through payroll; administrative assistance for other development personnel as requested. Bachelor's degree preferred. Experience with database maintenance, gift receipting, Microsoft Office, query report writing, and math capabilities required. Assistant must be detail oriented and accurate, understand basic financial/accounting concepts, possess strong written and oral communication skills and be able to maintain confidentiality. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for a full-time Academic Support Center Assistant. The Academic Support Center Assistant is responsible for delegated receptionist/secretarial work for the programs of the ASC, including Student Disability Support Services. Responsibilities include responding to requests of students, faculty, staff, and visitors; setting up and maintaining tutor schedules on electronic scheduler; filing and data entry; ordering of supplies; supervising work study students; and proctoring exams. Associates degree or equivalent experience preferred. Successful candidate must possess previous office experience, and strong organizational and computer skills. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for a full-time Associate Director of Development. The Associate Director of Development is a major gift officer who is responsible for soliciting funds from individuals, businesses and congregations for the annual fund, endowment and capital projects of the university. Bachelor's degree required. Experience in a Christian academic community; fundraising; experience in business or organizational structures; banking; estate planning; finance and/or insurance experience; or related fields would be helpful. Able to take initiative, set goals, relate well to people; cooperative team player; creative and industrious; possesses administrative, planning, writing, and appropriate computer skills; able to counsel donors on issues related to philanthropy; possesses knowledge and understanding of the Mennonite Church and its structures; a passion for making contacts; and available to travel. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community seeks a Residential Living Chaplain who is responsible for providing pastoral care and counseling to residential living residents and assisting with crisis spiritual needs of supportive living residents. Oversees the planning of and participates in the leadership of worship services on Sunday mornings, vesper services on Sunday evenings, and special seasonal services. See http://www.vmrc.org/About/Employment.aspx or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the position and to obtain an application for employment.
- Eastern Mennonite University seeks qualified applicants for an Office Coordinator in the Language and Literature Department. The Office Coordinator is responsibilities include completing general office tasks; providing assistance to the department chair, faculty, and students; supervising work study students; managing Writers Read events; assisting with facilitation of new faculty searches; and curating the department web pages. Part time, 10 month position. Bachelor's degree preferred. Successful candidate must have good communication and office management skills; word processing, data base, spreadsheet, and desktop publishing capabilities; department event coordinating and strong interpersonal skills. Experience with prioritizing, delegating and overseeing the work of others is essential. Submit application, resume, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for a Director of Health Services. Responsibilities include providing wellness programming, coordinating with counseling and external medical services; managing budget; maintain health records; obtaining contracts and communication with outside entities for electronic health records, billing services, and physician services, scheduling and supervision of student employees; and evaluation and assessment of all activities of Health Services. Part-time, 10 month contract. Master's degree in health administration or nursing preferred. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
- Eastern Mennonite University is seeking applicants for an Administrative Assistant/Office Manager in the Physical Plant Department. Responsibilities include to manage reservations of campus rooms and vehicle fleet including issuing of keys and schedule of locking and unlocking. The position also coordinates office projects and events, ensuring that critical reporting deadlines are met, managing the billing of services, cost coding invoices, screening calls and visitors, filing, maintaining cost codes for projects. Other general Physical Plant office responsibilities include back up support for the work control system. Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred. Interim, Full-time position. Submit letter of application, resume and the contact information for three references to: Human Resources, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802, email@example.com. For more information visit our website at www.emu.edu/humanresources. Persons who bring diversity are encouraged to apply. EOE.
Virginia Mennonite Missions Prayer Request:
Lift up David and Eliana Shenk and their son Kaleth as they go through the application process for US visas for Eliana and Kaleth. Pray for their family as they prepare to make the transition from life in Ecuador to life in the US.